As featured in the Adelady magazine
The Ultimate Festive Platter
As featured in the Adelady magazine.Let the festive feelings flow with this giant share platter of goodies.Recipe: Laura BakhtiarianPhotos: Naomi Giatas
- 1 large Kytons Traditional Christmas Pudding
- 12 Kytons Mince Pies
- Seasonal fruit
- 200 g brown sugar
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 140 ml thickened cream
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- Pinch of salt
Vanilla Bean Custard
- 4 eggs
- 250 ml milk
- 280 ml thickened cream
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 75 g caster sugar
- To make the caramel sauce, combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer over low heat, whisking constantly until thickened.
- Once the mixture is no longer watery, remove from heat and set aside to cool. Note: the sauce will continue to thicken as it cools. Serve warm or chilled.
- To make the custard, combine milk and cream in a medium saucepan over a low-medium heat, stirring constantly.
- After a couple of minutes, add vanilla bean paste and continue to cook for approximately 5 minutes or until hot — do not boil. Remove the saucepan from heat.
- In a bowl, beat egg yolks, sugar and cornflour with an electric mixer. Turn the mixer to low and slowly pour in the hot milk mixture. Steadily increase the speed and keep mixing until combined and smooth.
- Return the mixture to a saucepan over a low heat. Cook, stirring constantly until the custard thickens to your liking. Do not allow the custard to boil, as it may curdle. Serve warm or cooled.
- To assemble, serve the caramel sauce and custard in jugs on a platter filled with cut pieces of mince pie, Christmas pudding and seasonal fruit. Enjoy with friends and family!