French Toasted Kytons Hot Cross Buns
As featured in the new Adelady Magazine
- 2 fresh eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp thickened cream
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 4 Kytons hot cross buns
- splash olive oil
- Choc-chip ice cream
- Honey or maple syrup (optional)
- Place eggs, milk, cream and orange zest in a large mixing bowl. Using a fork, whisk until well combined.
- Slice the hot cross buns in half lengthways and dip each half into the mixture, coating both sides well.
- Leave in the mixture to soak for 15–20 minutes.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and carefully swirl it around to coat the pan evenly.
- Remove hot cross buns from the mixture, allowing any excess beaten egg to drip off.
- Cook in batches by placing coated buns on the frying pan and cooking for two minutes each side or until golden brown. Transfer to serving plates.
- Repeat with remaining oil and hot cross bun halves.
- To serve, add a spoonful of ice cream, honey or maple syrup and fruit of your choice.
Photo thanks to Naomi Giatas.